Founded in 1978, ARCHITEXAS has grown to be Texas' largest preservation-based architecture firm. From our offices in Dallas and Austin, we perform a wide range of planning and architectural services in the area of historic preservation, restoration, reconstruction, rehabilitation and new construction.
ARCHITEXAS' clients include municipalities, county, state and federal governments, non-profit, institutional and private development organizations, and individuals. We believe the success of our practice is the result of a commitment to achieving creative and appropriate design solutions. Our award-winning firm has earned its reputation as the premiere historic preservation firm in the state of Texas.
Dallas Office: 214.748.4561 Austin Office: 512.444.4220
ARCHITEXAS was created in 1978 by two members of the City of Dallas Planning and Urban Design Department, where they were introduced to historic preservation. Early projects include the reuse of historic industrial warehouses and residential additions. Recognition came early in the firm's history when D Magazine named ARCHITEXAS one of the "Dallas Five" best architectural firms. The commitment to high quality design and to the then-emerging area of historic preservation distinguished the firm as unique and visionary. From the beginning, projects like the Inwood Lounge and the Sammons Center for the Arts proved their commitment in both design and preservation.
Early planning work includes a master plan for the Dallas Farmers Market and preservation criteria for the Dallas West End Historic District. In the 1990's ARCHITEXAS began a ten-year long association with the City of Grapevine that resulted in the establishment of a downtown historic district, the reconstruction of missing historic buildings and the adaptive use of those that remained. A new City Hall on Main Street, restoration of a Depot, Heritage Park and a stop on the Tarantula train all helped to established Grapevine as a tourist destination city in the region.
Through the course of the years the firm has become known for historic courthouse restorations, beginning in 1990 with the Hill County Courthouse in Hillsboro, Texas. Working with the Texas Historical Commission's Historic Courthouse Preservation Program, the firm has completed full restorations for 11 counties. Since 1996, the firm has contributed significantly to the restoration of Fair Park - a National Historic Landmark and the recent recipient of a National Trust Honor Award for restoration.
Today, with offices in Dallas and Austin, ARCHITEXAS has expanded its ability to provide highly specialized planning, architecture and historic preservation services to our clients. Our emphasis remains on excellence - in the design and preservation of our community.
Craig, a graduate of the University of Texas- Austin, is an award-winning Preservation Architect and founding principal of ARCHITEXAS. Craig is the firm's leader in business development and project management and has developed a special expertise in programming and conceptual design for the firm’s projects. Prior to founding ARCHITEXAS he was an urban planner for the City of Dallas where he played a significant role in the development of the city's Historic Preservation Program and has served on the Dallas Landmark Commission.
Since the founding of ARCHITEXAS, Craig has led a variety of historic preservation, planning and new construction projects including the Joule Hotel in downtown Dallas, new City Hall in Grapevine’ historic district, the restoration of the Hill County Courthouse and the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe, the firm's numerous restoration projects at Fair Park and the recently completed new City Hall, Recreation Center, and Library in Wylie, Texas (with Holzman Moss Bottino Architects).
Larry is Principal and Director of ARCHITEXAS' Austin Office. A graduate of Kansas State University, his professional resume includes employment in Boston where, in addition to architectural practice, he taught Design Studio at the Boston Architectural Center. Since coming to ARCHITEXAS in 1985, Larry has served as project architect or manager for some of the firm's most significant projects such as the restorations of the historic Hill County Courthouse, Ellis County Courthouse, and the Old Bedford School. He has particular expertise in the rehabilitation of historic properties requiring certification by the U.S. Department of the Interior, and in other federal programs including the National Register of Historic Places, Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), and Historic American Engineering Record (HAER). Larry is ARCHITEXAS' primary expert in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), and is a LEED® 2.0 Accredited Professional.
David Chase joined ARCHITEXAS in 1996 and has participated at every level of the design process on a wide variety of projects. He has gained extensive experience in building condition diagnostics, surveying and documentation, design and construction document preparation, team organization and project management and has particular interest and expertise with construction administration services. His project leadership role includes coordination with multiple parties. His project experience includes award-winning projects at Fair Park in Dallas, including the Tower Building Restoration, Centennial Building Restoration, and the Fountain Pylons Restoration on the main Esplanade, as well as multiple municipal restoration projects throughout the state. As a Principal of ARCHITEXAS, Mr. Chase serves as staff coordinator for the Dallas office and leads the firm’s Quality Control program.
John P. Allender joined ARCHITEXAS in 2000 with experience in corporate, institutional and healthcare projects. As a Principal of ARCHITEXAS, his focus has been on sustainability and design innovation guided by a committed to the preservation of our architectural heritage. Mr. Allender has earned awards and recognitions for multiple adaptive-use and restoration projects in downtown Dallas, including the Hart Furniture Building, the Awalt Building, and the Harlan Building. His experience also includes churches, such as Christ Lutheran Church and First Unitarian Church of Dallas, and corporate facilities, including new headquarters for the City of Grapevine’s Convention and Visitors Bureau, and an interior renovation for the Society of Petroleum Engineers’ world headquarters in Richardson, Texas.
Mr. Allender has been actively involved in the Dallas architectural community since moving here in 1996. He has earned multiple citations from AIA Dallas for volunteer work and committee involvement, and is an active member of the AIA Dallas Committee on the Environment and Preservation Dallas’ Preservation Issues Committee. Mr. Allender is a LEED AP BD+C Accredited Professional.
Stan Graves with over 31 years of historic preservation experience, joined ARCHITEXAS in 2013 as Senior Principal.
He is the former director of the Architecture Division and Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer of the Texas Historical Commission. As director, he created and administered the nationally acclaimed Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program, which awarded over $245 million to 83 historic county courthouse projects.
Mr. Graves also directed project reviews for the rehabilitation tax incentives and implemented the Texas Preservation Trust Fund grants for development, planning and acquisition of threatened historic structures listed on or eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. He further coordinated the reviews of architectural changes and promoted the preservation of the state’s 244 historic county courthouses, ensured that the highest preservation standards were observed in work at the Texas Governor’s Mansion, provided consultation and proposed mitigation for federally funded or licensed projects affecting historic properties, and reviewed construction on Recorded Texas Historic Landmark projects. He served as the agency’s liaison for the restoration of the Texas State Capitol and Grounds.
Mr. Graves and his 14 member staff approved, consulted on or provided grants for over $2 billion dollars worth of preservation activity in the State of Texas.
Ms. Frocheur joined ARCHITEXAS in 2004 and has over 16 years experience in the restoration of historic buildings, as well as new construction located within historic districts. She obtained a Master of Architecture from Tulane University in 1989 and a Master of Science in Historic Preservation with an emphasis in Conservation Technology from Columbia University in 1994.
Ms. Frocheur managed the conditions assessment study and analysis of the LBJ Library and Museum Building on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. Other recent and current projects include the interior and exterior renovation and restoration of the Harris County Courthouse in Houston, the Potter County Courthouse in Amarillo, and the Rains County Courthouse in Emory, Texas. These projects include sensitive installation of new MEP systems into historic fabric, and restoration and reconstruction of historic elements and finishes.
Historic Restoration Award for the Harrison County Courthouse Rehabilitation
Historic Achievement Award for the Frankford Church Restoration
Heritage Society of Austin
Merit Award for the Susanna Dickinson House Rehabilitation
Historic Achievement Award for the Joule Hotel Rehabilitation
Historic Achievement Award for the Lake Cliff Park Rehabilitation
Historic Rehabilitation Award for the White Rock Filter Building & Basin Boathouse Rehabilitation
Preservation Achievement Award for White Rock Filter Building & Basin Boathouse Rehabilitation
AIA Design Awards
Juror Choice Award for the Joule Hotel
Merit Award for the White Rock Filter Building & Basin Boathouse Rehabilitation
East Texas Historical Association
Lucille Terry Preservation Award for Lamar County Courthouse
Preservation Achievement Award for Flagpole Hill
Historic Rehabilitation Award for the Joule Hotel
Texas Construction/Best of Awards
Award of Excellence: Renovation/Restoration of the Joule Hotel
Award of Excellence: Renovation/Restoration of the Johnson County Courthouse
Award for the Restoration of the McKinney Performing Arts Center at the Historic Collin County Museum
Preservation Achievement Award for the Harlan Building
Historic Rehabilitation Award for the Harlan Building
Texas Construction/Best of Awards
Award for Best Public Renovation/Restoration Project for the Bosque County Courthouse
Preservation Achievement Award for the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe
Award for Historic Restoration of Lamar County Courthouse
Texas Construction/Best of Awards
Award for Best Renovation/Design Project for the Historic Collin County Courthouse
Palladio Award for Adaptive Use and/or Sympathetic Additions in the Commercial, Civic, and Institutional Category for Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe
United Masonry Contractors Association
Golden Trowel Award for Outstanding Governmental/Institutional Design on the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe
American Society of Landscape Architects
Award of Excellence White Rock Lake Park Historic Research & Design Guidelines
Preservation Achievement Award for the Esplanade Art Conservation Project
Texas Construction/Best of Awards
Award of Excellence: Renovation/Restoration for the Cathedral Guadalupe Tower & Steeple Construction
Award for Best Renovation/Restoration Project for Lamar County Courthouse
Award for Restoration of Denton County Courthouse
American Council of Engineering Companies
Engineering Excellence Awards Competition - National Recognition Award for Ellis County Courthouse
Preservation Achievement Award for Hart Furniture Building
Preservation Achievement Award for Magnolia Lounge at Fair Park
Award for Restoration of Red River County Courthouse
National Trust for Historic Preservation
National Preservation Honor Award to the City of Dallas for Fair Park
Preservation Achievement Award for Jefferson Tower
Award for Restoration of Ellis County Courthouse
Award for Rehabilitation of Jefferson Tower
Texas Building Branch/Associated General Contractors
Summit Award for Construction Excellence for the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe Reredos and Pulpit Floor Renovation
Preservation Achievement Award for Stone Street Gardens
Preservation Achievement Award for Grace United Methodist Church
Building Award for Tower Building, Fair Park
Preservation Achievement Award for the Centennial Building Restoration at Fair Park
Building Award for Centennial Building, Fair Park
Preservation Achievement Award for the Tower Building at Fair Park
Building Award for Hill County Courthouse
Hillsboro Heritage League
Historic Preservation Award for Hill County Courthouse
United Masonry Contractors Association
Golden Towel Award for Outstanding Brick Design on the Grapevine City Hall
Texas Historical Commission
Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture for Hill County Courthouse, Hillsboro, Texas
Texas Building Branch - Associated General Contractors
Summit Award for Old Bedford School Restoration
Texas Historical Commission
Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture for the HABS Mitigation of Architectural Sites for the Super Conducting Supercollider, Ellis County, Texas
AIA, Dallas Chapter - Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition
Four Citation Awards
Historic Preservation League
Keystone Award for Sammons Center for the Arts
Historic Preservation League
Dallas Restoration House of the Year - Davis Residence, Swiss Avenue Historic District
AIA, Dallas Chapter - Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition
Honor Award, Merit Award and Citation Award
AIA, Dallas Chapter - Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition
Honor Award and Best in Show
AIA, Dallas Chapter - Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition
Traditional Building Magazine features ARCHITEXAS
The Harris County Courthouse Restoration is profiled
Nov 01, 2011
ARCHITEXAS was recently featured on the cover and in the pages of Traditional Building Magazine. The articles discusses the firm's history and major project accomplishments such as the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe, Harris County Courthouse, and the First Unitarian Church of Dallas. We are extremely honored by this recognition.
Click here to read the full article.
The new City of Wylie Municipal Complex
The Wylie Municpal Complex is complete!
Aug 01, 2011
The Wylie Municipal Complex was recently featured in Texas Architect Magazine, which is a publication by the Texas Society of Architects. ARCHITEXAS, along with Holzman Moss Bottino Architecture, designed the new complex to house the City Hall, Public Library and state of the art Recreation Facility.
Click here to read the full article.
A new vision for downtown Amarillo!
ARCHITEXAS joins master development.
May 17, 2011
ARCHITEXAS recently joined an HKS design team that was awarded a contract with Wallace Bajjali Development Partners for the new master development of downtown Amarillo. For more information on the project, please visit http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2011-05-05/architects-join-vision-downtown
Historic Harrison County Courthouse receives award!
Lucille Terry Preservation Award - East Texas Historical Association
Mar 14, 2011
Harrison County Judge Hugh Taylor accepted the Lucille Terry Preservation Award on Saturday, March 12, 2011 from the East Texas Historical Association for the restoration of the Historic Harrison County Courthouse. The massive effort of the community and all those involved with the project over the years make it particularly special and deserving of this recognition.
Former Mayor Audry Kariel also noted that Craig Melde, Principal of ARCHITEXAS, played a significant role in the development of this project and was hired for his skill and expertise in historic preservation.
"He was the best," Ms. Kariel said of Melde.
Harrison County Courthouse is one of 14 Texas courthouses designed by J. Reily Gordon and constructed in 1900 and was restored as part of the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program administered by the Texas Historical Commission. Congratulations to the county!
Read Full Story
Dallas Union Station Tour
Union Station - Dallas, Texas
Jun 18, 2010
ARCHITEXAS, as a corporate member of Preservation Dallas, had the opportunity to lead a guided tour of the Dallas Union Station on Thursday, June 18, 2010. Leading the tour were Jay Firsching, Senior Historic Preservation Specialist, and Emily Simon, Historic Preservation Specialist of ARCHITEXAS.
ARCHITEXAS provided historic preservation consultation services to Woodbine Development Corporation in conjunction with their architect, McCall Design Group of San Francisco, CA, and Engstrom Design Group of San Rafael, CA. Responsibilities included a building analysis to identify significant historic elements, research at the state and national level regarding the building's history, and design consultation to ensure the building complies with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the treatment of Historic Properties.
The building was fully rehabilitated according to the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for the Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings and now serves as a special events and dining venue.
For More Information, please visit Dallas Union Station
Texas Society of Architects
'Renewal of a Jewel', by Duncan T. Fulton, FAIA
Mar 28, 2009
The 16-story Dallas National Bank was a significant addition to Dallas' burgeoning skyline in 1927. Its opening made headlines and its grandeur conveyed the prosperity and ambitions of both the young bank and the city around it...
North Texas E-News
'Master Plan Unveiled for Sam Rayburn Annex' by Allen Rich
Mar 24, 2009
"The master plan, almost everyone seemed to agree, was breathtaking.
With an anxious crowd representing Fannin County looking on, Dr. Don Carleton, executive director of the Dolph Briscoe Center For American History and Dr. Patrick Cox, associate director at the Center,..."
Read Full Story
The office building, whether new, adapted or restored, needs to be flexible for the changing demands of information technology, communications, staff evolution and business growth.
ARCHITEXAS works with building owners to obtain the 20% Certified Rehabilitation Tax Credit by preparing the application and advising them on designs that meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards. Completed projects include office, residential and hotel buildings. Often these federal tax credits are accompanied by local tax incentives and city tax increment finance funding.
Hart Furniture Building
ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural services, historic preservation services and consultation for attaining funding from Center City Tax Increment Finance District for the restoration of the historic Hart Furniture Building . The exterior restoration of the 1888 commercial building in downtown Dallas included rehabilitation of the wood windows and transoms, new complimentary storefront and removal of the exterior paint on the masonry. The interior is a bar/restaurant/club with office space on the upper two floors. ARCHITEXAS assisted the owner in acquiring approximately $1.36 million in TIF funding for the owner/developer to fund the exterior restoration.
The Awalt Building
ARCHITEXAS provided architectural and historic preservation services for the restoration and adaptive use of the Awalt Building in Dallas’ Historic West End District. The owners were committed to the restoration and preservation of this historic building to receive the Investment Tax Credit with a certified rehabilitation while also creating suitable business and lease space for additional offices and retail tenants. All work on the interior and exterior conforms to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Rehabilitation of Historic Places. ARCHITEXAS prepared documents that coordinated the restoration of the building’s heavy timber interior and brick exterior as well as the addition of new elevators, fire stairs, and restrooms, and also provided space planning and architectural services for the finish-out. New first floor lobby areas and typical common areas on the remaining floors were also a component of this project.
The Harlan Building
The Harlan Building in Dallas’ Farmers Market is a local Landmark Building and sits on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was purchased by Craig Melde in 2002, who then, with ARCHITEXAS, set about turning the property into a mixed-use, retail/residential development. An intensive process of stabilization, restoration and reconstruction turned back years of neglect and revitalized the only remaining warehouse building from the original farmer’s market district. A portion of the building that had been demolished was reconstructed in a modern vocabulary that references the original construction. The project incorporated many LEED-based design guidelines including high-efficiency HVAC systems and site paving that uses salvaged floor slabs from the interior restoration. The resulting project is a building that satisfies the requirements of the National Park Service, Texas Historical Commission, Dallas Landmark Commission, and the Dallas Farmers Market TIF District. The design is appropriate yet modern, a minimalist insertion within an historic context.
The Joule Hotel
The Joule Hotel is a luxury boutique hotel located in the heart of downtown Dallas on Main Street. The hotel is a conversion of the historic 16 -story Dallas National Bank Building combined with a new adjacent 10-story building addition. The gothic styled high rise is the signature building, which houses the majority of the 130 guest rooms and a luxury penthouse with roof gardens. The hotel also features a ballroom, meeting spaces, a five star restaurant and a cellar bar. ARCHITEXAS was able to convert the historic building to the new uses while maintaining the preservation standards required for a certified rehabilitation tax credit. Additionally, The historic facade was completely restored, reconstructing many missing original elements.
Tower Station & U-Drop Inn
ARCHITEXAS provided a phased restoration master plan and architectural consulting services for the historic 1936 Tower Station and U-Drop Inn Café on old Route-66. ARCHITEXAS evaluated the building’s condition and researched its history in order to prepare a Historic Structures Report and Restoration Master Plan. The project, funded by the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st-Century (TEA-21), involved rehabilitation and adaptive use of the historic gas station and café to serve the community as a chamber of commerce and visitor center. Upon completion and approval of the Master Plan, the firm assisted the primary, Philips Swager Associates (PSA), in the development of construction documents and specifications for the building. The project was designed to adhere to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Rehabilitation of Historic Structures.
Wallis Hotel Reconstruction
ARCHITEXAS provided historic preservation and architectural services for the reconstruction of a brick hotel originally constructed in 1891. The hotel, which was demolished in the mid-1930s, was reconstructed in Grapevine’s original town square on Main Street. The hotel building serves as headquarters for the Grapevine Heritage Foundation as well as the Convention and Visitors Bureau. The Wallis Hotel anchors Liberty Park Plaza which provides a community gathering place. ARCHITEXAS produced the design and construction drawings, which accurately reconstructed the exterior brick hotel from a historic photograph with careful attention to original details. The interior was adapted to office use in the character of the 1890s architectural interiors, yet with modern technology and convenience.
ARCHITEXAS completed a comprehensive post-fire courthouse reconstruction for Hill County in 1997. This ISTEA-funded project set a new standard for historic courthouse restorations and was the catalyst for the establishment of the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program (THCPP).
The Texas Historical Commission established the THCPP in 1999 to fund the preservation of the state’s most significant county courthouses. ARCHITEXAS has already obtained more than $30 million in THCPP funding for our county clients, more than any other firm.
ARCHITEXAS prepared a Historic Structure Report and Master Plan for the historic 1886 Bosque County Courthouse in Meridian, Texas. The courthouse design was altered in 1936 when the original clock tower and corner turret roofs were removed. The interior was altered as well with the removal of some original finishes, the installation of new contemporary finishes, and reduction of the district courtroom. The plan meets standards for the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program and identified two separate phases. Phase I completed in 2004 included elevator additions, as well as electrical and mechanical upgrades. Full restoration began with Phase II in 2006, and restored the courthouse to its 1886 design by reconstructing the original clock tower and corner turret roofs. The interior was restored to the original finishes and spaces including public corridors and the district courtroom.
ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural services for the exterior restoration and adaptive use of the 1927 Collin County Courthouse. The courthouse is located in the center of a historic commercial district which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Through a series of programming workshops that included area merchants, citizens, and civic leaders, ARCHITEXAS created a functional program and then adapted that to convert the vacant Collin County Courthouse into a multi purpose community arts facility. A component of the plan was a business pro-forma to enable the facility to be economically self-sufficient on the model of the Sammons Center for the Arts in Dallas, TX. Working with a Construction Manager, the project was designed to be implemented in a short time frame and within budget constraints.
The Denton County Courthouse was designed by architect W.C. Dodson and is considered to be one of the most significant and impressive examples of public architecture in Texas. A master plan was prepared that identified three phases of work based on the level of critical need for preservation. One of the most critical items of work was the masonry, which had suffered from previous repair campaigns. The masonry was conserved, the exterior restored and the interior was rehabilitated to reveal the historic design, while upgrading the building for code compliance and state of the art mechanical, electrical and data systems.
The Ellis County Courthouse is a favorite in the state for its elaborate “Pecos Red” sandstone carvings and expressive Romanesque Revival form. Designed by J. Riely Gordon in 1891, the building epitomizes his style. The restoration was comprehensive and included both county and district courtrooms and their century old judge’s benches. New systems, state of the art audio-visual equipment, security and acoustical treatments were integrated into the historic spaces. The remainder of the building was rehabilitated for county government use. The completed restoration serves as a beacon for historic downtown Waxahachie.
A fire razed most of the Hill County Courthouse in 1991, but with the use of fragments remaining from the fire and a few historic photographs, ARCHITEXAS prepared the documents for the reconstruction of the building. The project utilized ISTEA funds and was a catalyst for the development of the Texas Historical Commission’s Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program when the county judge got involved in obtaining funding from the legislature. The project involved multiple phases of construction due to funding shortages, despite the help of local talents like Willie Nelson. Former President and then-Governor George W. Bush attended the opening ceremony and the First Lady assisted in obtaining state funds for other courthouses.
ARCHITEXAS provided a restoration Master Plan and full architectural services through construction administration of the historic 1912 courthouse, designed by Lang and Witchell. ARCHITEXAS prepared a Master Plan and Historic Structures Report that met the guidelines for the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program (THCPP), and qualified for more than $4 million in grant funding for construction documents and construction. The scope of work for construction included restoration of corridors, stairwells, and historic courtrooms, rehabilitation of county offices and sensitive integration of handicap accessibility, contemporary systems, and modern fire protection throughout.
Religious structures present some of the most challenging design problems because of their complex blend of the sacred and secular. Each site is unique and each congregation a family of worshippers with a diverse collective view.
ARCHITEXAS designs new, restores landmarks and adapts to town or country but always tries to lift these projects to a higher plane.
Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe
Originally named the Sacred Heart Cathedral, the building was designed by the master architect Nicholas J. Clayton in 1902 and is located in the heart of Dallas’ arts district. Four phases of a master plan have been completed to date, including interior worship area renovation and partial exterior façade restoration. The latest phase was the construction of a bell tower that was designed, but not built, with the original building. The bell tower extends 219 feet and includes a 49 bell carillion. In 2008, ARCHITEXAS conducted a survey of the exterior of the Cathedral to evaluate and document the existing conditions in order to assist Andres Construction in the preparation of a project budget for its restoration. Future projects include a new 500 seat musical performance hall and the completion of the exterior restoration.
First Unitarian Church
University Park, Texas
ARCHITEXAS completed master planning services for the First Unitarian Church of Dallas in accordance with the church’s ten year strategic plan, which included a series of workshops to establish a concise program and clear design direction for the entire church campus. A new Planned Development overlay was required by the City of University Park, and ARCHITEXAS was instrumental in securing approval of the new site plan. Cost estimating revealed the need for a phased approach to construction.
The project was recently completed with a re-dedication on September 10, 2011. The scope of work included restoration of the sanctuary facades, renovation of approximately 6,000 square feet of existing Sunday School classrooms, and a 26,000 square foot addition of new classroom and office spaces. Significant garden and courtyard spaces compliment the existing and proposed structures. Sustainable design strategies implemented include: proper building orientation, passive solar shading devices, natural building ventilation, high-efficiency HVAC systems, super-insulated walls, abundant day-lighting, rain water and grey-water collection systems, native plantings in the landscape, and recycled materials through out. The project is on track for obtaining a LEED Silver rating.
Frankford Church Restoration
ARCHITEXAS created a Preservation Master Plan for the historic 1896 Frankford Church. The Master Plan established a planning strategy that identified work necessary for the restoration, preservation and continued maintenance of the church. The Master Plan included a historic summary describing the history and significance of the building. The historic summary provided the context around which the preservation recommendations would be developed.
ARCHITEXAS also prepared architectural documents for the sensitive rehabilitation of the church. The rehabilitation included interior restoration, integration of new mechanical and electrical systems, installation of new fire alarm system to meet life-safety requirements in the building, adaptations necessary to meet ADA requirements, and other work outlined in the Frankford Church Existing Conditions Analysis prepared by ARCHITEXAS.
Lutcher Memorial Building
ARCHITEXAS prepared a restoration master plan for the Lutcher Memorial Building of the First Presbyterian Church in Orange, Texas in 2007. This plan assessed the physical condition of the exterior and interior of the building. Additionally the plan made recommendations on the preservation of the interior finishes and exterior copper clad dome. Improved accessibility to meet building codes and ADA requirements were designed in a manner that would retain its historical integrity. Sensitive integration of modern mechanical, electrical and plumbing, and audio-visual systems was also addressed.
The Lutcher Memorial Building is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark and all work and modifications were done so as to meet the Secretary of the Interiors Standards.
Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church
ARCHITEXAS provided a long range master plan for expansion of an existing “First Unit” facility for a congregation in Arlington. To produce the master plan, ARCHITEXAS conducted a programming and design workshop to establish the church’s long range goals, needs, facts and concepts, to develop a multi-phased plan for future expansion. The master plan was designed to accommodate a new sanctuary to seat 350. The original worship area was converted to a fellowship hall. Additional classrooms and expanded parking were also included. ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural services through construction to complete the new campus.
ARCHITEXAS is currently providing programming and design services for the construction of a new building addition that may be in the 14000 to 20000 square feet range.
St. Paul Lutheran Church
ARCHITEXAS prepared a Master Plan for the 1868 historic St. Paul Lutheran Church and site in Serbin, Texas in the Summer 2009. ARCHITEXAS has begun the initial phase of rehabilitation following the Level I Critical Rehabilitation Recommendations listed in the Master Plan. The project includes foundation repair, interior concrete slab replacement, exterior and interior masonry wall and stucco repair, water management and drainage, addition of outside fresh air to HVAC system, fire alarm system, and window restoration or replacement.
Arts and Entertainment
Museums, theaters, auditoriums, arts centers, bars, restaurants and cafés are among the most exciting projects we design. We serve public, private and non-profit clients in the development of self-sustaining projects that enliven communities.
ARCHITEXAS has designed bars in theaters, museums in office buildings, auditoriums in engine rooms, and all manner of places for the liberation of creative minds. The Greeks saw theatre in architecture; so do we.
ARCHITEXAS designed a retro-fit plaza above the existing Arts District garage, at the northwest corner of the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe block. The plaza was a gift from the Catholic Foundation to the citizen of Dallas for the 50th anniversary project. The site was a dormant deck over the garage that was never finished, and offered a great opportunity to connect to Flora Street, the central boulevard axis of the Arts District, across from the Myerson Symphony Hall.
ARCHITEXAS placed a flight of steps, leading up to an elevated plaza, that was bound by an existing brick wall with a fountain trellis, and terminated by a concrete screen wall featuring an annual mural, 10’ x 28’. A pair of balance beam trellis arms shades the heart of the space, and the counter weight cones hover over the garage entrance; the wind moves the arms very gently.
Grapevine Palace Theater
ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural services through construction including acoustical design, theatrical lighting design and kitchen design. The project involved restoration, additions and adaptive use of the historic 1940 movie theater and the 1923 grocery building. The rehabilitated movie theater serves as a multi-purpose space for live theater, music recitals and a public events hall which includes a kitchen and retail space. The additions increased the backstage area and changing areas for live performances.
ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural and interior design services for the design of a new lounge/bar in the existing historic Art Moderne Inwood Theater. The large historic lobby space was restored and sub-divided to allow for separation of theater patrons and for a bar/lounge, as the two functions were legally required to be physically separated. A separate entrance was designed and an eight foot tall glass block and ceramic tile wall, with a horizontal water feature, was constructed. To provide the required separation, this low wall also preserved the character of the two story lobby space. The Lounge has been successful and was mentioned in the November 1983 and June 2006 issues of Esquire Magazine, “The Esquire Guide to the Best New Bars in America.” ARCHITEXAS also provided full architectural services for the sub-division of the balcony for two additional auditoriums making the facility a multi-plex, three-screen theater. The large auditorium downstairs was rehabilitated and new projection, and state-of-the-art audio system was installed.
The Magnolia Lounge was designed by renown modernist architect William Lescaze for the Magnolia Oil Company, now Mobil Oil, for the Texas Centennial Exposition of 1936.The building is a striking example of international style architecture. White stucco walls are combined with Magnolia Oil Company red doors and aluminum-painted columns to create this exposition building. ARCHITEXAS provided the historic paint analysis for the interior and exterior of the building, and designed the interior renovation to serve the Friends of Fair Park offices and a video screening organization. The interior of the theater space was originally designed as a Neiman Marcus showroom, featuring yellow walls and banquets. Today, this flexible and multi-functional meeting and auditorium space seats 60 persons for live theatre, film, video or music performances.
Sammons Center for the Arts
The adaptive use of the 1912 “Industrial Italianate” Turtle Creek Pump Station, the City of Dallas’ oldest surviving public building, was a very important project for the City of Dallas Historic Preservation program. ARCHITEXAS, the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra and the Dallas Shakespeare Festival won the project through a competition process. The adaptation of the pump station to serve rehearsal, recital, library, and historical museum/exhibit space was challenging. Maintaining flexibility while providing a wide variety of performance, exhibit and practice space was a key to the success and longevity of this adaptive use. The Sammons Center for the Arts has been a model project for similar arts facilities across the state.
The Simon Theatre in Brenham, Texas was designed by renowned Texas architect, Alfred C. Finn in 1925. The Simon Theatre was a vibrant part of downtown Brenham, and entertained generations with its silent picture shows, Vaudeville shows, dancing performances, concerts, Hollywood movies and more. ARCHITEXAS was hired to perform a conditions assessment and develop a master plan for the building to aid in raising funds and also assited the owner with applying for grants to be used for the restoration of the theatre. ARCHITEXAS also provided full architectural services to restore the interior lobby, reconstruct the historic ticket booth, incorporate a Visitors Center on the first floor, and finish out a retail space for a local coffee shop. The long-term goal for the project is to restore the historic theatre and ballroom for community events and entertainment.
Museums, visitors’ centers, theaters and centers for the performing arts all make a difference in the civic vitality of communities and help them to revive their sense of place.
ARCHITEXAS provides services to a broad range of public and non-profit clients. We have done it all including creating civic gathering places for festivals, restoring historic fair grounds, designing city halls, restoring railroad depots, adapting historic buildings for use as museums and performing arts facilities, and energizing town centers with comprehensive master plans.
Fair Park is today enjoying a renaissance. Over $100 million has been invested in the park over the past ten years. ARCHITEXAS has been a part of that revival, having completed the first full restoration in the park - the Tower Building. The 1936 Federal Building, known as the Tower Building, is one of the most prominent exhibit and events buildings at Fair Park. The gilded fluted tower rises 170 feet, well above the surrounding structures and is capped by a gilded eagle. Based on a master plan completed in 1997, ARCHITEXAS has completed three phases of work that includes the exterior restoration and the reconstruction of the dilapidated original exhibit hall with new construction that provides improved column spacing and state of the art lighting and sound systems. ARCHITEXAS also played a significant role in the Fair Park Comprehensive Development Plan, completed in 2003, which sets the stage for the park’s future.
LBJ Library and Museum
ARCHITEXAS provided a restoration master plan and is currently providing preservation architectural services for the exterior restoration of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum (LBJ Library and Museum) building at the University of Texas campus in Austin. As Historic Preservation Architects for the LBJ Library and Museum, ARCHITEXAS’ work includes assessing the integrity and condition of the structure’s stone veneer and working with consultants to study the substructure, material properties and drainage of the stone pavers. ARCHITEXAS is also responsible for the construction documents and construction administration for the restoration of the Museum and Library’s exterior and surrounding plaza plinth walls. ARCHITEXAS is also working with a team of experts in the rehabilitation of the Library and Museum’s Plaza.
UT Austin Main Building
ARCHITEXAS served as the Historic Preservation Architects and produced a Feasibility Study for Exterior Restoration and Rehabilitation of the 1936 Main Building at the University of Texas. French architect Paul Philippe Cret designed this Spanish Renaissance style architectural masterpiece that is the central feature of the 40-acre historic campus that he master planned. As part of the feasibility study, ARCHITEXAS conducted historic research, an existing facilities survey of the exterior building envelope (including the clock, bell, and observation level of the tower), exterior ADA and building code analysis, developed a recommended maintenance plan, and produced an estimate of probable cost for exterior envelope restoration and rehabilitation.
ARCHITEXAS is currently fund raising for the project, and in the meantime will be working with the University to prepare a mock-up of two restored steel window units and cast iron spandrel panel.
White Rock Boathouse
ARCHITEXAS provided master planning services historic preservation and adaptive-use services to design a rowing center for White Rock Lake. The center was designed to be in one of two abandoned filter basins of a former water treatment plant, recycled via excavation of fill, and has a roof addition. It uniquely creates a boat storage structure that is in an ideal size for White Rock Lake, and is served by two future docks.
The project also restored the filter and chemical building and filter tanks into an assembly room for meetings and receptions that can spill onto the terraces and grounds below, overlooking the lake. The 6,300 square foot structure built in 1921, in the Neo-Classical style, is a concrete structure with load bearing masonry walls, atop 10,000 square feet of filters and gallery below grade. The non-profit project by White Rock Boathouse, Inc. paved fifty-five parking spaces atop the second, filled basin, adjacent and below grade. The 135-hull boathouse serves the expanding Dallas area rowing organizations and individual recreational, high school and collegiate levels, providing additional support rooms such as training, shop and administrative space, as well as becoming a significant competition venue.
Wylie Municipal Complex
ARCHITEXAS is leading the project as architect of record in association with design architect Holzman Moss Bottino Architecture to provide architectural services for a new municipal facility that includes a city hall, library and recreation center for the City of Wylie. The scope of services began with assisting the city in site selection and program/budget refinement. In this phase of work ARCHITEXAS analyzed, evaluated and made recommendations for sites identified by the City and also assisted in the decision making process. The selected site is a rural landscape, which will eventually become the town center based on current patterns.
The design is distinguished by an 800 foot long load bearing stone wall and a steel structure that is an integral part of the architectural part of the architectural expression. The stone wall unites the three buildings and integrates them into the natural landscape. The project will also incorporate significant sustainable elements including a rainwater harvest system.
Residences are by their nature the most personal of designs. ARCHITEXAS knows the decisions made and the designs revealed are rare and challenging exercises in personal discovery. We believe the client knows their own needs and desires.
ARCHITEXAS provides highly-sensitive designs for additions and alterations to some of Dallas’ finest historic homes. We also have commercial experience with loft conversions and multi-family housing incorporating sustainable and new town-planning principles.
ARCHITEXAS provided phased master plan and full architectural services for the renovation of an historic residence by Charles Stevens Dilbeck. The house combines romantic and whimsical features with pragmatic planning that responds to Texas weather and the condition of the original site. The project involved first documenting the house, followed by moving it two miles away to a new site, and design and construction documents for an addition, which nearly doubled the size of the house. The residence was originally built as a country home for a newspaper editor in 1937. Site planning for a 57 acre site was also included as well as designs for a stable, barn, pool house and entrance gate. The original house was moved in 1999.
ARCHITEXAS was commissioned by the Mesquite Historical Commission and the City of Mesquite to provide full architectural and master planning services for the restoration of an 1871 farmstead in Mesquite. The farmhouse was expanded in 1891, 1925 and 1940. The house became a farmstead museum and was restored to the 1891 design, which depicts the farm lifestyle in the late nineteenth century. The four-acre Florence Farmstead (originally 1,000 acres) includes the original house and ancillary buildings, which will be accurately restored in later phases. Initially, ARCHITEXAS completed a Historic Structure Report for the restoration and development of the farmstead, which identified independent phases and associated costs that allowed for a fund-raising campaign and grant requirements. ARCHITEXAS also prepared colored renderings and promotional drawings to assist the commission in soliciting funds and grants. The project was funded by Mesquite Hotel Motel Tax Revenues and a grant from the Meadows Foundation. As a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark the project was reviewed by the Texas Historic Commission for architecture compliance.
Gillin - Bishop House
ARCHITEXAS conducted a thorough conditions analysis of the Gillin-Bishop house in Dallas, Texas and prepared a Restoration Master Plan documenting the conditions and necessary repairs following hail and flood damage to the home. The master plan addressed appropriate treatments to all the building materials including the copper roof, steel sash windows and stone masonry.
Designed by world renowned architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, the house was constructed in 1958 at which time Wright described it as one of the "finest examples of organic architecture." The house is the last designed and constructed under Wright's supervision before his death in April, 1959. The home is a remarkable piece of architecture for both the City of Dallas and on a National level.
University Park, Texas
In 2003, ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural services for the expansion of the Kozmetsky residence at 4117 Windsor Parkway. The expansion consisted of a family/great room, a master bedroom suite, an improved kitchen and a third level that could be future finish out for occupancy. In 2008, ARCHITEXAS designed a rear garden patio and pool for which involved a unique solution to zoning restrictions. The project also included creative design solutions to allow the second level deck and game room to be built atop an existing non-conforming two-car garage.
ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural services to master plan, restore and enlarge a 7,000 sq. ft. Colonial Revival home, in Highland Park at Armstrong Boulevard and Belfort. The well-built house by Foshee and Cheek, 1937, was modified carefully, to take advantage of two enormous red oak trees in the front yard on the spacious corner lot. A four bedroom, two guest room, nine-bath house was expanded to wrap around a pool court, defined by the kitchen wing, cabana and greenhouse. The rear garden motor court serves as a private entry in the rear garden. The additions refer to the late eighteenth century Tidewater Virginia style.
ARCHITEXAS provided full architectural services for a new 1,000 sq. ft. rear garden art studio/office, and retroversion of the existing studio, back to a two car garage. The new design was a sleek and simple low-maintenance concept, with passive-solar orientation, clad in cementious clapboard stained siding compatible with the existing 1950’s modern residence. A master landscape plan was done for the backyard with Armstrong-Berger, landscape architects.
Urban Design And Planning
Often, "what do we do next?" is the question asked when an organization or government needs to manage it’s growing resources. ARCHITEXAS’ planning projects help cities cope with urban density and suburban horizontality, restore small town main streets, manage and preserve historic sites, and interpret cultural landscapes.
ARCHITEXAS provides planning, urban design and historic resource survey services, working with cities and developers to plan projects throughout the state. Each unique opportunity is inspired by the history of a place is an adventure in what could be and how to get there.
Bryan Downtown Master Plan
ARCHITEXAS worked as a consultant with a team of planners, real estate economist, and transportation analyst to develop a master plan for historic downtown Bryan, Texas. ARCHITEXAS’ role was to assess the exterior envelope of each building within the survey area and provide recommendations for restoration, rehabilitation and develop a budget estimate for facade restorations. ARCHITEXAS prepared a written report that included a survey profile of each streetscape facade in the project limits. Each profile included a photograph of exterior streetscape facade in its current condition, an historic photograph (if available); a written narrative describing existing materials and conditions along with a written narrative describing recommendations for restoration or repair, and annotated drawing sketch-overs or photographs describing structural or cosmetic repairs needed or recommended. The information developed by ARCHITEXAS will be used to aid current and potential building owners as well as local lenders to realize the possibilities of rehabilitation and restoration and thereby encourage economic development of historic buildings within the study area.
Dallas Parks Plan
As part of a comprehensive facilities survey and master plan by Carter Burgess for the City of Dallas Park and Recreation Department, ARCHITEXAS prepared condition assessments and improvement recommendations for 35 of Dallas’ most historic parks. ARCHITEXAS created a data base to document the research and condition assessment for each park and worked with the city archivist to catalogue historic records and drawings. The city-wide “Renaissance Plan” identified over $2 billion in maintenance and improvement work. The city began implementing the Plan in 2004 with bond funds and ARCHITEXAS was commissioned to provide full architectural services for the restoration of three historic parks. Restoration work includes repair of park structures, furniture and landscape, and making the parks accessible and safer.
Fair Park Master Plan
As a consultant for historic preservation to Hargreaves & Associates, ARCHITEXAS led the planning initiative within this comprehensive plan for the 277-acre Fair Park to address expansion and alteration goals of the museum community. By involving the city Landmark Commission in the process, the plan was able to include compromises that address the need to preserve and the need for change. The resulting guidelines were then developed as an amendment to the city’s Historic District Ordinance in 2005-2006. One of the primary goals of the plan is to create year-round uses for the Park.
ARCHITEXAS provided historic preservation consultation for the revitalization of the downtown historic commercial district in the city of Grapevine. The district extends six blocks along Main Street and is characterized by one and two story masonry commercial buildings with a period of significance dating from 1885-1930. ARCHITEXAS provided a National Register of Historic District Multiple Property Nomination (three blocks included on the register in 1991); Reconstruction of the historic 1891 Wallis Hotel (for the Convention and Visitors Bureau Offices); Development of a local Downtown Historic District Ordinance; Construction of a new City Hall in the City Historic District; Ongoing Preservation Technical Assistance for property owners in the Historic District ( facade restorations, signage and graphics); Rehabilitation and Adaptive Use of the Palace Theater and Buckner Grocery for a Community Arts Facilities.
White Rock Lake Design Guidelines
ARCHITEXAS worked with Carter & Burgess to establish design development guidelines for Reflection Point at White Rock Lake Park. ARCHITEXAS identified types and styles of significant historic resources in White Rock Lake Park and in the adjoining Lakewood neighborhood of Dallas. This included both existing structures as well as resources described in historic architectural drawings and other documents.
Once historical precedents had been established and analyzed, recommendations were made as the most appropriate design details for the development of Reflection Point. The guidelines identified appropriate styles and design details for site and architectural development, which provided guidance in the selection of amenities for the site.